One of my most favorite foods in the world is Beer Cheese Soup. It's not exactly
but sometimes I just have to have it. We go to a local restaurant that makes a killer one but they hardly ever have it when I'm there. Boo! I decided to make my own after my last visit came up with no Beer Cheese Soup. My son is gluten free so I made a gluten free version. It didn't take much effort really. I was going to take a nice artistic picture along side the gluten free corn bread
I made but my family devoured the soup before I could. I had the setting all planned out too.
Here is what I did.
- 4T butter
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4c gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 c milk
- 1c half-and-half
- 16 oz gluten free beer
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 10 oz extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter then add the carrot, onion, & garlic. Saute 10 minutes
- Add the flour and mixing well. Cook stirring frequently, for 3 minutes until the flour turns golden brown.
- Combine the milk and half-and-half. Slowly pour into flour mixture, whisking constantly until combined.
- Increase heat to medium high and add the beer and mustard. Bring to boil, whisking frequently until foam subsides.
- Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes until thick. Remove from heat and whisk in the cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.