My poor daughter has the worst skin in the winter. Poor thing needs to live in warm temperatures but alas we don't so I did the next best thing. Maybe the next best thing. I don't know. Well anyway I made her some whipped body butter. It was incredibly easy. I did it while heating up leftovers for dinner. Yes! It was that easy!
So here is how I did it.
Luckily, I had some ingredients in my pantry for lotion making. These aren't things you generally keep in stock unless you've taken on such an endeavor in the past but they are pretty inexpensive and easy to get online. Plus, you'll get a ton of lotion out of it compared to buying it from the store with all of the yucky ingredients in them. You can get your materials here
. Their descriptions are great and they have everything I want in one place including jars. This recipe makes a fair amount so feel free to make some for a friend and keep some for yourself. Believe me, they won't feel cheated!
- 1/2c Shea Butter
- 1/2c Cocoa Butter
- 1/8c Coconut Oil
- 1/3c Mango Butter
- 1/2c light oil like almond, olive, jojoba, or kukui nut
- optional essential oils for scent. Use 10-30 drops depending on the scent and strength you'd like. I use Lavender a lot for relaxation.
- In a double boiler over, combine all ingredients except the essential oil(s).
- Bring to medium heat, stirring constantly until all ingredients are melted.
- Once melted remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl. Place in refrigerator and let cool for another hour. You want it still very soft.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, whip for 10-13 minutes fluffy.
- Return to refrigerator to set, about 10-15 minutes.
- Store in a jar with a lid. Keep below 75 degrees or it will melt and not stay whipped. If your home is warmer than that store in the refrigerator.